The Cure to Messy-Bunitis
by Hannah Keeley
If you’re not familiar with a very serious condition called, “Messy-Bunitis,” then you’re about to get educated on the subject. It may just save your life…okay, not your life, but at least your confidence level. Messy-Bunitis is common among moms, especially stay-at-home moms with little youngsters in the home.
The symptoms set in slowly and are almost indistinguishable. You go a day without a shower and flip your hair into a ponytail to get it out of your way. Then, practically overnight, you have a full-on illness. Messy Bun can be characterized by any combination of the following five symptoms…
1. Ponytail head.
2. Baggy T-shirts.
3. Stretchy pants.
4. No shoes (no, slippers do NOT count as shoes).
5. Naked face (not even a drop of moisturizer).
If you have MessyBunitis, you probably already are well aware of it. I mean, you’ve got a mirror right? Though you may not have glanced in it yet this morning. The danger of this mom-centric disease is that it sneaks into your mind and your spirit and attacks your confidence level at the very core. Being a full-time mom is a full-time profession. A FULL-time profession y’all. By and large, you have to dress the part. The respect you have for your career choice comes through in how you prepare yourself each and every day. Sporting the frump look tells the world and especially yourself that you don’t hold your position in high esteem.
Being a mom is THE most challenging career you will ever have and because of that, you need to prepare your mind and your body to face these challenges head-on. You can write your success story and it begins at the crack of dawn when you get out of bed and dress for the day.
Try a dose of this medicine and see if you don’t kick that lingering bout of Messy-Bunitis right out of the front door!
1. Ponytail head—If you are lucky enough to have a head full of hair then, mama, do something with it! It just takes a few minutes to touch it up with a curling or waving iron or just give it a decent blow-out. But I know how busy those days get. If you need it back out of your face then try something different instead of resorting to those stretchy elastics. Get an assortment of headbands or maybe some sexy scarves that coordinate with your outfits. Perhaps you can try a different tactic than the ponytail standby—maybe a quick chignon at the base of your neck or just the front pulled back into a cute little knot. Youtube my friends, youtube.
2. Baggy T-shirts—Here’s what you’re thinking, “The baggier the T-shirt, the thinner I look.” In the words of Donald Trump “Wrong!” The added bulk just adds the perception of added weight. T-shirts are fine as long as they don’t have the name of your favorite resort or band tour plastered across them. Get some shirts that can actually pass as fashion. Look for fitted lines and nice texture and get an assortment of solids and groovy patterns.
3. Stretchy Pants—We all know elastic-waist pants are forgiving, but herein lies the problem. The stretchier the pants, the frumpier the look. Go ahead and invest in some jeans that make you feel and look fantastic. Yes, they do exist and they come in all styles and colors. Skinny jeans aren’t going away anytime in the near future and boot cut is always a good option if you want to minimize your hips. If you need some help picking out a pair then grab the nearest teenage girl and take her along for the shopping trip.
4. No shoes—The added wear and tear on your flooring and carpet is NOTHING compared to the added benefit of an increased work level, so don’t use that excuse. Putting on shoes is a way to prepare your heart and mind for the day before you. Get a good, comfortable pair that will take you through the day and then some. They are your butt-kicking shoes and you’re telling the world to get out of your way because you mean business!
5. Naked face—some people just seem to radiate natural beauty, but for the rest of us, a little bit of product yields massive results. Tinted moisturizers are a great way to care for your skin while enhancing your complexion. And just some simple gloss or mascara not only boots your appearance but it also greatly improves your self-confidence. You’ll look in the mirror and like what’s looking back at you! That attitude can carry you far.
Take my advice and if you are seeing the approach of Messy-Bunitis or—alas!—have found yourself already in the advanced stages, do something now! It’s never too late. And if you have any “anti-messy bunitis” tips, please share them here! Thanks a bunch!
Hannah Keeley was once in overwhelmed mom living in a cluttered house, deep in debt, out of shape, and barely hanging on. But one day, after finding herself sobbing uncontrollably into a pile of clean laundry, she realized God has bigger and better plans for her (just like He does for each one of His children). Beginning that day, she began making changes in her life that took her from overwhelmed to overjoyed. Today, she’s helping moms do the same. Hannah, her husband, Blair, and their seven children live in Richmond, Virginia, and are having the time of their lives!
Check out Hannah’s Website Here!
Want more help to create your Crazy Blessed life? I got you! Each episode of my podcast, Crazy Blessed is created to help you live the life God designed you for—a life of abundance. LISTEN NOW!
And if you’re a mom, then you could probably use a little help now and then. Here are some of my free resources that you can use anytime you get a hankering (which is southern for, “when you feel like it”).
Are you a mom who is totally overwhelmed? Feel like you’re at the end of your rope? Do you want to get organized, take control, and create a life you love? Check out my 21-Day Mom Rescue.