Sweet Strawberry Bruschetta
Every week I stop by a local farmers market to pick up fresh in-season fruit, vegetables and other homemade goodies. This week they were overflowing with strawberries! The strawberries were a gorgeous juicy red and pleasantly plump… I could have devoured a dozen or so right on the spot! Luckily.. I didn’t and just bought an entire flat to take home to enjoy with the whole family!
Driving home, while on the phone with a friend, she told me about her sweet flares recipe and gave me some sweet ideas. Although I knew I could make strawberry ice cream, or strawberry tart I wasn’t crazy about the idea due to wanting to avoid too much sugar. Instead…I thought I would indulge in a sweet savory dish with the same idea of the Insalata Caprese!
All you have to do is substitute the tomatoes for strawberries and mozzarella with ricotta cheese or goat cheese. In the batch I made I omitted the cheese however if you wish to add in the cheese start with whatever you prefer ricotta or goat cheese and spread on each slice of bread before you add the strawberry mixture.
This is a great starter, side dish or even good to satisfy a sweet tooth (with a savory flare). Kids love it too!
1 pint strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (or more according to taste)
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
extra basil for garnish (optional)
4 Tablespoons of Ricotta or Goat Cheese
1. In a medium bowl, mix strawberries, vinegar, oil, basil, salt, and pepper. Set aside to let the berries release their juice.
2. Arrange dry bread slices on a baking sheet and toast on both sides under a broiler (this can be done in batches).
3. Then transfer toasted bread slices on a platter.
(If you are adding cheese spread do so now before you add the strawberry mixture. Spread just enough on each slice of toasted bread- about 1 teaspoons of cheese)
4. Stir the strawberry mixture then top each piece of bread with a spoonful of the berries, including a bit of the liquid with each spoonful.
5. Garnish bruschetta with basil leaves and serve immediately.
*** NOTE: On the Trim Healthy Mama plan if you used our S bread recipe it would be an awesome S snack!
Picture Credit: PinchMySalt.com
Inspiring Ideas for the Recipe
PinchMySalt.com, Williams-Sonoma.com, WholeFoodsMarket.com