South of the Border Chicken Lime Soup
~Trim Healthy Mama, Paleo, & Keto Friendly~
So jumping into this New Year of 2022 and following a healthy regimen, we have tried some new family dinners and I have to say this yummy soup has been one of the ALL time favorites! An absolutely scrumptious twist to your ho-hum chicken soup recipe that will liven up any table!
Check Out the Recipe Below…
- 3 or 4 limes
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves, each about
- 10 oz.
- Mineral salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1 Tbs. Refined Coconut Oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- Oregano to taste
- 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Sprinkle of queso fresco or mild feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Cut 1 lime into 4 to 6 wedges; set aside for serving.
- Juice as many of the remaining limes as needed to measure 1/4 cup.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the coconut oil.
- Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, water, lime juice, oregano, and lime essential oil, then return the chicken to the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife near the bone, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, keep the soup at a simmer.
- Remove and discard the skin and bones, and shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Stir the chicken into the soup.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Put the avocado, cheese, and lime wedges in separate small bowls.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately.
- Pass the avocado, cheese, and lime wedges alongside.
*If you need help to figure out why you’re struggling with the weight, what plan will work for you, or why you emotionally eat, then I strongly urge you to check out the 5-Day Video Mini-Series, inside our private Facebook community-“Release the Weight from the Inside Out“ click the link to join the Facebook group! It could be the change you’ve been searching for!
*Adapted from Williams-Sonoma New Flavors for Chicken, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2008).
*Note: This recipe is an S for Trim Healthy Mamas and is Keto & Paleo Friendly.
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.