“Keep Calm and Carry On” is the visual mantra we see everywhere around us. But don’t forget to stop! Rest times increase productivity and focus, and let’s face it-bring a lot more joy to life!
When I was working as a labor & delivery nurse, we were scheduled to have three half hour meal breaks during our twelve hour shift. Being a stay-at-home mom of little ones doesn’t allow us that luxury of uninterrupted meal breaks-but is it possible to schedule in break times for ourselves? I believe it is- and it’s necessary!
Here’s simple ways you can bring pause to your life:
– Sit down. So simple, but are there moms out there who can relate with me on this one? I often need to really force myself to sit! And not just at the computer!
– Pray. Give thanks for what’s right in front of you.
– Drink. Sip water or herbal tea. I like to keep a pot of tea on the counter and drink small cups throughout the morning. Drink slowly, and enjoy it!
– Eat. A small high-protein snack helps to fuel the mind! Try a few almonds & a piece of fruit for a 5 minute break. Sneak into a quiet space occasionally to eat your own salad or sandwich at lunchtime and pretend you’re on your lunch break at “work”. It’s fun!
– Doodle. Pick up a pen and scrap of paper and have fun!
– Go low. Get down on the floor. Make a block tower with your kids, build a Lego creation, roll a ball with your baby…just get down and play!
– Get outside. Open the door and breathe deep.
– Move. Bounce on the trampoline, skip rope, play hopscotch, throw a ball or Frisbee,
– Stretch. You likely know already what feels good for your body. If you need more ideas try these here!
– Read. Have a magazine, devotional or book on the go that allows for 5-10 minutes of reading at a time.
– Create. Make something! Knit, crochet or embroidery projects can be picked up for short windows of time.
– Plug in. In the middle of a hectic morning, I’ll sometimes pop my headphones and listen to a worship music. Even 5 minutes brings me back to that place of rest.
– Connect. Pick up the phone and say hello to a real person in real time. It’s such a blessing to hear a friend’s voice when we’re in the throws of life at home.
What are some ways you pause, regroup and rest in your days?