Praying for the Men in Your Life
by Sharon Jaynes
Of all the roles and responsibilities that God has given us as women, the position of a prayer warrior or intercessor is perhaps the greatest of all. An intercessor is a person who intervenes or prays for another person. It was derived from the Greek word enteuxis, which means to go before a king with a petition or plea on behalf of someone else. In essence, it means the same thing today. We go before the King of kings with a petition or plea on someone’s behalf. What we accomplish on our knees in the invisible realm will ultimately affect what we see in the visible realm.
As a wife, there is no other person who is more called or more qualified to pray for your man than you. As a mother, there is no other person more qualified to pray for your children than you.
In the Bible, God describes the marriage of a man and a woman as a visual example of the spiritual union between Jesus Christ and the Church (all Christians). Believers are called “the bride of Christ” (Revelation 19:7). A marriage is a walking, talking, earthly example of the heavenly relationship between God’s Son and those who believe on His name. God instructs men, “Love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25).
There is someone who wants to destroy that living example…
…and his name is Satan. Jesus said, “The thief [Satan] comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy” (John 10:10). He desires to destroy the God-ordained and designed institution of marriage. He began with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and continues his destructive tactics even today. Satan is not very creative, but he’s very effective, and he uses the same temptations and tactics today that he used in the first marriage on earth. Satan has proclaimed an all-out assault on the family and he begins at the top—with the husband and wife.
If you are married, I encourage you to pray for your marriage. If you are single, I encourage you to pray for the marriages of your friends and family.
So many times we fail to see the real enemy. The writer of Ephesians explains, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12).
When having a conflict with my husband, I need to stop, take a deep breath, and think…who is the real enemy here? There is a spiritual battle raging all around us that we can’t even see, but is very real. It is the greater reality. It is a battle that is not to be feared, but one that is to be recognized and fought in the only place where it can be won—in prayer.
Below are Scriptures that I use to pray for my husband and my son. I encourage you to pray them over the men in your life.
Dear Lord, I pray for __________ from head to toe.
- His Mind - That he will have the mind of Christ and think as the Holy Spirit would lead him and not the flesh. (1 Corinthians 2:16)
- His Eyes -That You will keep his eyes from temptation and that he will turn his eyes from sin. (Matthew 6:13; Mark 9:47)
- His Ears – That he will hear Your still small voice instructing him. (1 Kings 19:12, Psalm 32:8)
- His Mouth -That his words will be pleasing to You. (Psalm 19:14)
- His Neck – That the decisions that turn his head will honor You in all regards.
- (Psalm 25:12)
- His Shoulders – That he will not carry burdens and worries on his own shoulders, but trust that nothing is too hard for You. (Genesis 18:14; Jeremiah 32:17)
- His Heart -That he will love and trust You with his whole heart. (Deuteronomy 6:5, Proverbs 3:5)
- His Back – That You will protect him from harm in the spiritual and physical realms. (Deuteronomy 23:14 NLT)
- His Arms – That You will be his strength. (Psalm 73:26)
- His Hands – That he will enjoy the work of his hands and see it as a gift from You. (Ecclesiastes 3:13, 5:19)
- His Ring Finger (for my husband) – That he will love me as Christ loved the Church. (Ephesians 5:25-27)
- His Side – That he will have godly friends who hold him up and spur him on. (Proverbs 27:17; Proverbs 12:26)
- His Sexuality (for my husband) – That he will not be tempted by sexual sin, but satisfied and fulfilled in our marriage bed. (Matthew 6:13; Proverbs 5:18-19)
For my Son—That he will not be tempted by sexual sin. (Matthew 6:13)
- His Legs – That he will stand firm on the truth, knowing that if he does not stand firm in his faith, he will not stand at all. (Psalm 62:6; Isaiah 7:9)
- His Knees – That he will humble himself before You and be strong, courageous, and careful to do everything written in Your Word so that he will be prosperous and successful. (James 4:10; Joshua 1:8-9)
- His feet – That You will order his steps, and that he will walk in Your truth. (Proverbs 4:25; Psalm 26:3)
Sharon Jaynes is popular speaker at women’s events and author of 18 books including Becoming the Woman of His Dreams-Seven Qualities Every Man Longs For and Praying for Your Husband from Head to Toe. To find out more about Sharon’s speaking ministry visit www.sharonjaynes.com. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram, The Praying Wives Club