Praying for our Leaders
by Sylvia Gunter
Blessed Is The Nation Whose God Is The Lord
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance. Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord.
Psalm 33:12, 144:15.
When we sing “God Bless America,” we are singing a blessing on this country. Can we ask God to bless this nation in its present state of heart and soul?
We can pray for us to be a nation that is bless-able by God. We can pray that God will do what only He can do: change the hearts of kings (decision-makers in all areas of our economy and government) to follow after Him and His word.
Let’s pray this for the new President and Vice-President.
Let’s pray this for all those in authority: Cabinet members, Senators and Congressmen, Wall Street, bank Presidents, oil company presidents, local officials, and candidates for office.
We need a revolution of blessedness in those in authority.
Pray these “blessed” descriptions of godly leaders…
Lord, give us men and women who…
- Do not walk in the counsel of the ungodly. Psalm 1:1-2
- Delight in the law of God and meditate on it. Psalm 112:1
- Take refuge in the Lord. Psalm 34:8
- Know that their transgressions are forgiven, sins are covered and not counted against them, and in whom there is no deceit. Psalm 32:1-2
- Are generous and lend freely. Psalm 37:26
- Trust in the Lord. Psalm 40:4
- Do not look to the proud, nor turn aside to false gods. Psalm 40:4
- Have regard for the weak. Psalm 41:1
- Come near to Him for praise and worship. Psalm 65:4
- Walk in the presence of God. Psalm 84:4
- Know that God is the source of their strength. Psalm 84:5,7
- Who are going on with God. Psalm 84:5
- Acclaim God, publicly praise Him. Psalm 89:15, 84:14
- Receive the discipline of the Lord and learn from it. Psalm 94:12
- Maintain justice and do what is right. Psalm 106:3
- Recognize that their provision comes from God. Psalm 107:38
- Fear the Lord. Psalm 112:1
- Are the generation of the upright. Psalm 112:2.
- Come in the name of the Lord. Psalm 118:26
- Whose ways are blameless. Psalm 119:1
- Walk-in God’s way. Psalm 119:1, Psalm 128:1
- Keep His laws. Psalm 119:2
- Seek Him with all their heart. Psalm 119:2
- Treat children as blessed. Psalm 127:3,5
- Whose help and hope is the God of Jacob. Psalm 146:5.
For the next week, bless the spirits of men and women of influence, in the political and economic arena, to fit the profile of those who are blessed of the Lord.
Sylvia Gunter lives in Birmingham with her husband John, now retired from his position as a telecommunications executive. They have three adult children and two grandkids.
Sylvia’s passion is to seek the heart of God for herself and others. Psalm 27:4 is one of her favorite verses. She seeks God to personally know Him better, love Him more, enjoy Him, be satisfied in Him, and be changed by beholding Him. She is passionate about encouraging others to a deeper relationship with God. Her life message boiled down to it essential foundation is — who God is and who I am in Him. He is first of all Father.
Sylvia has been involved in ministry for over 30 years. Through her prayer resources, she has encouraged and equipped believers in over 160 nations.
Sylvia lives in Birmingham, Alabama with her husband John. They have three adult children and two grandchildren. She enjoys soaking in the beauty of sunrises and sunsets, rocking on the porch on windy afternoons, savoring God’s creation, and making an art form of a nap on a rainy afternoon.
To learn more about Sylvia Gunter visit her website,www.thefathersbusiness.com
Used with permission: Taken from “Blessed Is The Nation,” Prayer Portions, page 313. © 1991, 1995 by Sylvia Gunter.
Available at www.thefathersbusiness.com.