Texas Tweaked Tamale Pie
~Trim Healthy Mama, Keto & Paleo Friendly~
When you’re looking for a new dinner option this classic favorite is sure to please! Packs a protein punch plus it’s full of delicious veggies and healthy fats! Of course, the fam will only be excited about how yummy it is as they fill their bellies!
Check Out the Recipe Below…
FOR THE CHILI FILLING:
- Avocado oil or ghee
- 1 pound ground beef (85-90% lean is best)
- 1 bunch of scallions, separated into dark green and white + light green parts and sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon bittersweet smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2-3 bell peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, deseeded, peeled, and finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored, deseeded, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Handful of chopped fresh cilantro
FOR THE “CORNBREAD” TOPPING:
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed almond flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (or favorite sweetener of choice)
- To make the filling, heat about a teaspoon of oil in a large deep-dish cast iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the pieces of meat with a spatula, until fully cooked and no longer pink. Reduce the heat slightly and add the white and light green parts of the scallions along with the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spices over the meat and stir. Add the peppers, squash, tomatoes, and water and stir again. Reduce the heat so that the chili simmers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and about half of the dark green scallions, reserving the remainder for serving. Use a spatula to flatten out the top of the mixture so it’s nice and even.
- While the chili is simmering, make the “cornbread” topping. Whisk the almond and tapioca flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the eggs, cream, and honey and whisk again until thoroughly combined. Use a spatula to place dollops of batter across the top of the chili filling. With the spatula or your fingers, spread the batter out so it covers the entire surface (a little exposed filling around the edges is fine). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the topping, is crusty and deep golden.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then top with scallions, slice into wedges, and serve hot.
*If you need help to figure out why you’re struggling with the weight, what plan will work for you, or why you emotionally eat, then I strongly urge you to check out the 5-Day Video Mini-Series Challenge starting soon, inside our private Facebook community-“Release the Weight from the Inside Out“ click the link to join the Facebook group! It could be the change you’ve been searching for!
*adapted from A Calculated Whisk
*Note: This recipe is an S for Trim Healthy Mamas and is Keto & Paleo Friendly.
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.