Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
~Trim Healthy Mama, Keto & Paleo Friendly~
You don’t have to wear a grass skirt and do the hula to enjoy a good Hawaiin BBQ chicken dish, and this one is sure to please your craving for sweet and tangy all in one! Plus, it’s all done in one pot and about 30 minutes, and is almost better than island hopping but of course if you have the chance to visit the islands definitely go in person for the real deal!
Check Out the Recipe Below…
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- Juice and pineapple from 1 (20 ounce) can of pineapple chunks, in 100% juice (omit fruit for THM & Keto plans)
- 1/2 cup Primal Kitchen BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Juice of 1/2 large lime, or 1 whole small lime
- Optional: 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot flour, mixed into 2 tablespoons water, to thicken sauce
- Optional, to garnish: chopped green onions, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño
- Cauliflower Rice
- Turn your instant pot onto sauté mode and add the oil. Once hot, add in the diced chicken pieces and sauté about 1 minute per side
- While the chicken is sautéing, combine the pineapple juice, BBQ sauce, coconut aminos, minced garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and lime juice in a mixing container. Whisk together until the sauce is incorporated together
- Turn the instant pot off of sauté mode and add the chopped bell peppers and chopped onions into the instant pot over top of the chicken. Pour the sauce over the vegetables, and then dump in the pineapple chunks. Do not stir
- Place the lid onto your instant pot, set the valve to “sealing”, and set the cook time to manual high pressure for 5 minutes
- Right before the cook time is up, dissolve the arrowroot in the 2 tablespoons of water by whisking with a fork
- Do a quick-release on the instant pot and remove the lid. Set the instant pot back onto sauté mode and pour in the flour/water mixture. Stir it into the Hawaiian BBQ chicken and let it come to a simmer. The sauce will begin slowly bubbling as it thickens. Turn the instant pot off and serve over cauliflower rice.
*adapted from Whole Kitchen Sink
*Note: This recipe is an S for Trim Healthy Mamas and is Keto & Paleo Friendly.
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.