Mexican Chicken Lime Soup
~ Trim Healthy Mama & Keto Friendly ~
Check out the recipe below…
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves, each about 10 oz.
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 Drops of Young Living Lime Vitality Essential Oil
- 2 oz. queso fresco or mild feta cheese, crumbled
Season the chicken breasts with the 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and chili and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth, water, lime juice, lime vitality essential oil, and oregano, then return the chicken to the pan.
Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife near the bone, about 40 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, keep the soup at a simmer. Remove and discard the skin and bones, and shred the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken into the soup. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
Put the avocado, cheese and lime wedges in separate small bowls. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Pass the avocado, cheese and lime wedges alongside. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma New Flavors for Chicken, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2008). But perfect for all our Trim Healthy Mama Followers!
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.