Creamy Chicken and Asparagus
~Trim Healthy Mama, Keto & Paleo Friendly~
Our “One-Pot Wonder” this week is a fabulous Creamy Chicken and Asparagus dish which is so yummy and filling during these colder months! Even if you might not have eaten asparagus much in the past, you’ll want to give this recipe a chance with the creamy cheese and mushrooms that take this simple veggie to a whole new level!
Check Out the Recipe Below…
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus, cut approximately 1 inch in length
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 ounce low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to broil. Season the cut chicken with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray the skillet generously with with cooking spray or add enough oil to coat the bottom. Add the chicken to the skillet and sauté until nearly cooked, about 4 minutes. Remove the chicken onto a plate and set aside.
- Coat the skillet with more cooking spray or oil and add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add in the mushrooms and asparagus and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the vegetables for another 2-3 minutes or until they start to soften. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the vegetables and stir together until the flour taste is cooked off, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back in with the vegetables. Pour in the chicken broth and milk and stir together until smooth. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add in the cream cheese and stir together until smooth.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in most of the gruyere and cheddar cheese until melted, reserve a little cheese for the top of the casserole. Stir in the Greek yogurt until smooth then top the casserole with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and starts to turn golden brown.
- Serve over zucchini zoodles or cauliflower rice.
*If you need help to figure out why you’re struggling with the weight, what plan will work for you, or why you emotionally eat, then I strongly urge you to check out the 5-Day Video Mini-Series Challenge starting soon, inside our private Facebook community-“Release the Weight from the Inside Out“ click the link to join the Facebook group! It could be the change you’ve been searching for!
*adapted from RecipeRunner.com
*Note: This recipe is an S for Trim Healthy Mamas and is Keto & Paleo Friendly.
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.