These Cheesy Fish Crackers are delicious and great to add for a side in the lunch box or they work well as a snack with sliced apples or grapes. We have found making our own is a fun activity to keep the little ones involved in family living.
Doing life in the kitchen with your children such as having them help you create meals, as they grow will help them be more accustom later on to make better food choices. This also works well with teaching kids how to measure out ingredients, follow directions on a recipe, and preparing a meal all together as a family!
To make these delicious Cheddar Cheese Crackers you will need…
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup corn or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces grated, loosely packed mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water, or more as needed
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- 2. Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, corn flour, oat flour, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough blade and pulse to combine. Add the cheese and butter or coconut oil, and pulse to incorporate. Scrape down the sides of the food processor to free any trapped flour. With the food processor running, drizzle in the hot water, a little at a time, just until the mixture begins to pull together. You may not use all of the water.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather it into a ball. Knead gently once or twice. Roll out the dough until it is slightly less than 1/8 inch thick.
- 4. Using a very small fish-shaped cutter or the cutter of your choice, cut out the crackers and carefully place them on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets.
GLUTEN-FREE CHEESY FISH CRACKERS
- For gluten-free Cheesy Fish, replace the all-purpose and whole wheat flours with an equal amount gluten-free all-purpose baking mix. Place the dough between 2 sheets parchment paper for easier rolling.