“Butternut Squash Bisque”
Aaaaawww soup…glorious soup is just what this Mom orders for fall weather to keep tummies nice and warm and festive fall colors on the table. The family will never realize just how nutritious this Trim Healthy Mama friendly soup is for them because they will be busy slurping down the last drops from their bowls! Serve this delicious soup as a fun “Ghoul-ash” for your family dinner this week!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (or a squirt of onion juice for the Short Cut Queens!:)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Slice the butternut squash in half and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once done, remove from the oven and discard the seeds. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat two tablespoons of the butter or oil.
- Cook the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Scoop the squash flesh from its shell and cut into chunks
- Add the squash chunks, ground red pepper, and cumin , and broth to the soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan. Stir in the salt and black pepper. Heat through.
The bisque is slightly sweet with a bite that gives it a gourmet taste. Even though this recipe is an ‘E’ on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, the soup is so creamy you will think it is an ‘S’!
Serves 4-6 in medium size bowls.
*Note: You may just want to place the squash in the oven at lunch time, and once done, set aside until you make dinner. This will make things quicker.
*Created Exclusively for The Laundry Moms by Annalise Bonin
We are not affiliated with Trim Healthy Mama nor endorsed by them. As with all resources, you should review them with care. We have done our best to make the recipes and all menu plans THM compliant in an effort to assist you on your journey.