A Woman’s Recipe for Greatness
“A good woman is hard to find and worth far more than diamonds.”
Proverbs 31:10 Message Bible
Comparing diamonds to a woman’s worth raises a high standard. How many of us consider ourselves worthy of such comparison?
Deep in our soul we wrestle with the idea that we’re not enough. I know I’m not alone in this lifelong search for value. We measure ourselves against others and feel somehow our Maker put more effort into others.
Let’s look to Scripture for direction here. Although different versions site various stones of great worth, in Proverbs 31, I like the concept of a diamond. After all, a diamond is a girl’s best friend, right?
Taking a closer look, the similarities between diamonds and a woman’s worth can’t be denied…
1. Historically, seen as symbols of supreme strength
2. Ancients thought diamonds were full of life (due to the ability to lift spirits)
3. The strongest mineral known to mankind
4. Constructed over time with pressure and heat
5. Formed in the dark (deep in the Earth’s mantle)
6. Known for brilliance
7. The closer a diamond gets to colorless the more valuable
9. Discovered at great cost
10. Highly sought after
11. A diamond’s hardness depends on its purity
12. Often stolen away from its owner
Mystery surrounds this gem. Diamonds are made out of highly organized carbon. Geologists are still guessing how diamonds are formed in the Earth, but they think the recipe follows something like this:
1. Bury carbon dioxide 100 miles into Earth
2. Heat to 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Squeeze under pressure of 725,000 pounds per square inch
4. Quickly rush towards Earth’s surface to cool
Women, by nature are mysterious and complex – much like a diamond.
1. Throughout history, seen as symbols of great strength
2. Full of life with the ability to lift the spirits of those around her
3. “Strength and beauty are her clothing” Proverbs 31:25
4. A woman’s strength is formed over the years through life’s pressures and often difficult circumstances
5. Our best choices are made in the dark, quiet places – alone before God
6. Known for wisdom
7. Value comes with vulnerability and transparency
8. Determined to protect her young at any cost
9. Hidden beauty – discovered at great cost
10. Thought to be elusive
11. Strength comes from purity
12. Guard your heart from being stolen away
The next time you find yourself wrestling with your worth, stop and consider this analogy from our Maker. Creation was formed with a diamond in mind. You were formed by the same God of the Universe with your unique design.
A woman’s recipe for greatness is strength formed under pressure and the result – priceless.
As a college student, Debi asked the Lord to send her to the front lines of ministry. Armed with a newfound devotion to Christ and a Child Development background, Debi married her college sweetheart. Together they began to dream of what a family could become.
Thirty-six years later, Tim and Debi have eleven children, six grandchildren, and lives filled with front-line battle scars and victories beyond measure.
Presently, Debi has a houseful of teenagers in DFW and three sons in college. Her desire is to leave footprints for those who follow, and impart grace to mothers of all ages. Debi blogs at www.debichapman.com, can be found on social media, and speaks when invited – but her favorite place on earth, is home.